Just this week, this nugget of info dropped into my inbox! At first I was apprehensive…not another post about how exercise makes you “look bad”…how it’s “so bad for your skin”…and all the rest that we are fed daily by beauty editors! So when I had a read, and realised they were products that would actually be helpful, I decided to share this with you!
Keeping fit while trying to maintain healthy skin can prove tricky; battling dehydration, dryness and even wrinkles caused by sun damage, simply from taking part in our favourite fitness activities.
Team GB duathlon silver medallist and 2014 London Duathlon ambassador, Charlotte Harris, is here to offer budding duathletes and general fitness aficionados a way around these beauty crises.
Charlotte completed her first ever marathon in 2006, but her bug for multi-sport events only really kicked in two years ago. In October 2012, she entered into her first duathlon and quickly qualified for the GB duathlon team in 2013. Competing in the sprint distance event at the European championships in Holland, Charlotte came home with a silver medal.
With padded shorts and lycra suits as her new favourite accessories, she had to find other ways to get her girly kicks.
We asked Charlotte for her beauty secrets and, luckily for us, she has shared with us her top five for exercise enthusiasts:
Charlotte Harris’ top 5 beauty tips:
1. No matter what your sport, be it the gym, running or cycling, always remember to hydrate with plenty of water to replenish lost fluids. Not only will this aid recovery, but also ensure your skin stays looking fresh and banishes fine lines caused by dehydration. I always use Nuun hydration tablets (£6.00) in my water – they contain electrolytes but very few calories and to top them off, come in loads of nice flavours.
2. Look after your feet they are vitally important for your running and deserve to be looked after. Blisters, black toe nails, hard dry skin, we’ve all had it; to keep on top of your foot health, make sure you have your trainers professionally fitted – this is vital. You can then keep those feet looking smooth and soft with Flexitol Heel Balm £4.95.
3. Invest in a really good lip balm with SPF if possible. When you are out running or cycling in the summer sun, it’s easy to forget about your lips, as unlike winter you don’t run this risk of chapping. The sun, however, can dry lips out and even burn them during longer training stints, so make sure you invest in a good lipbalm. I would recommend Clarins moisture replenishing lip balm £19.00 with essential rose wax, well worth the money or Elizabeth Arden eight hour nourishing lip balm with SPF 20 £20.00.
4. If you use running gloves, invest in an intensive moisturising hand cream and apply as a treatment before adding your gloves for silky smooth hands. Even if it’s summer this works a treat, so you can combine your beauty regime with your workout without trying. I use Udderly smooth hand cream £5.00 – it’s even good for those cycling sore bits.
5. Even if you are in a rush after your training, it’s important to use a good conditioner as working out regularly can mean you are washing your hair more than usual. To avoid dry, frizzy hair, I carry with me Moroccan oil £13.45. Wet or dry hair, it’s amazing!
With charity places still available for the Super Sprint (5K run, 11K cycle and 5K run), Sprint – (10K run, 22K cycle and 5K run), Classic (10K run, 44K cycle and 5K and, Ultra (20K run, 77K cycle, 10k run), join Charlotte on Sunday 14 September and take part in London Duathlon held in the lush surroundings of Richmond Park on closed roads.
Duathletes, along with friends and family, can soak up the atmosphere and savour their achievements with organic food and drink stalls, the best in family entertainment as well as the opportunity to pick up the latest in sporting equipment and apparel.
To enter London Duathlon or for further information regarding the event please visit: http://www.londonduathlon.com
I am looking forward to getting my training started this summer and taking part in my first multisport event!
Elle 🙂 x