After the hectic festive season, I honestly thought I had life on smash. Then I got sick, just about got better, then sick again and January hadn’t even ended yet. Clearly, there was something for me to learn form this episode.
Then this email dropped into my inbox sharing some simple, but great tips…
Five top tips to feel refreshed this winter from psychologist and life coach Becki Houlston:
· Play music – Plugging your headphones in and playing a track which reminds you of summer is a great way to evoke positive feelings. Switching off and listening to the beats will alter your emotional state for the better.
· Light it up – With dull days and longer nights, we’re prone to feeling blue. Buy a light box to trick your brain into releasing a natural cocktail of hormones and endorphins which will make you want to smile throughout the day.
· Make plans – It’s tempting to curl up on the sofa every night, but making plans gives you something to look forward to at the end of the day, which will alter your state of mind in the hours before.
· Balance your body – What you put into your body will affect the feelings that come out. Don’t neglect your health and steer clear of calorie-laden hot options, instead reach for a refreshing and hydrating drink.
· Think positively – If your first thought in the morning is ‘grey’, the rest of the day will follow much the same. Steer your mind to focus on the things that are good in your life. A little positivity can be infectious!
Becki’s a psychologist and life coach who teamed up with SQUASH’D to ensure we start the year on a positive, healthy note!
For me, the biggest one that hits home is ‘Balance your body’. I’ve been eating too little (hard to believe), not eating at the right time (pre/post exercise) and not drinking enough water (cue headache when running). So I’m on a mission to drink more water each and every day; being dehydrated causes me to feel lethargic and unmotivated to move. SQUASH’D have just launched a new citrus flavour – something new to add to my drinks of choice; herbal tea and water.
How do you stay refreshed?!