This recipe for homemade nachos was contributed by Amy Meegan aka The Baking Nutritionist; a marketer, nutritionist, blogger, baker and cook among other random titles. Most often she can be found drinking coffee, stalking dogs or photographing food.
These homemade nachos are unbelievably amazing and the chips are home-baked meaning they’re much lower in calories, fat and salt than the short bought varieties!
To make the chips I simply snapped lasagne sheets in half and softened them with boiling water. I then laid them in a single layer on two baking sheets, sprayed them with low calorie spray oil and seasoned generously with coarse sea salt, smoked paprika and mixed dried herbs. Baked in the oven for 20 minutes and you genuinely would not know the difference!
The filling is mushroom mince and other veggies with fajita spice, beans and pasatta.
Ingredients | Serves 4
- 8 lasagne sheets, halved or quartered
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Mixed dried herbs
- 1 packet of mushrooms, minced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 400ml passata
- 2 tsp fajita spice
- 1 tin cannellini beans, drained
How To Make Your Homemade Nachos
- To make the nacho chips, lay the lasagne sheets in a single layer in a shallow dish (you may need multiple dishes or do this in batches).
- Pour over boiling water and leave to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Remove the lasagne from the water, letting the excess water drip off, and layer on 2 baking trays in a single layer. Lightly sprinkle with olive oil and seasoning and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- While the chips are baking, prepare the filling by frying off the mushrooms, onions and peppers until softened.
- Add in the passata, spice and beans, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes until reduced slightly. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- When the chips are cooked, carefully *they’re hot* remove from the trays and assembled in a shallow dish leaving a “well” in the centre. Fill the well with the tomato mixture and bake for a further 10-15 minutes. If desired, sprinkle over some grated cheese and allow to melt.
- To serve, sprinkle over some random slices off goodness such as avocado, red onion, coriander, cherry tomatoes and lime wedges.