If you’re looking for a lower body exercises, or a lower body workout you can do at home, I’ve got you! A lot of people look for these workouts to tone their thighs but personally, I’m a fan of just making my legs stronger.
The benefit of strong legs means I can be a stronger cyclist, a stronger runner and essentially, a stronger human being. I teach a lower body class online every single week called BadAss which is not only a favourite of mine to teach, it’s a popular class for participants.
What Is A Lower Body Workout?
As far as I’m concerned a lower body workout targets everything from your waist down, but will typically include your core as your core works the majority of the time.
It’s leg day basically.
The type of session can vary though. Do you wanna work your legs and get a cardio hit? Or do you wanna work slow and build up your lower body strength? Or maybe a mix of both is perfect?
Beginner? Start Here:
- Perfect Form: How To Squat
- Perfect Form: How To Lunge Properly
- How To Do Lateral Skater Jumps
- You Need A Goblet Squat In Your Workout
Lower Body Exercises You Can Add To Your Workouts
If you’re a fan of at home lower body workouts, then these are 5 moves you can add to your routine. They can be done anywhere to be honest – the gym, your hotel, or outdoors!
The best thing is that you can add whatever equipment you have to increase the intensity and the burn (if you desire!). You can use a kettlebell, dumbbells or resistance bands or just stick to bodyweight.
If you happen to have a plyometric box at home, or there is one you can use at your gym, you have to try out these 3 plyometric box exercises for that lower body burn.
1. Sumo Squats With Pulses
This variation of a squat targets the inner thighs.
- Stand with feet wider than shoulder width apart, heels in and toes pointed out
- Drop your hips back and down as if going to sit on a chair, without leaning your upper body forward
- Continue lowering down – “squatting” – until thighs are parallel to the ground
- Try to maintain the pressure on the outer edge of your feet and press your knees back / open
- Squeeze your butt and core as you come back up and return to standing
- Complete 3 reps of Sumo Squats, on the next one hold with thighs parallel to the ground and pulse 3 times by raising slightly out of the squat position
Remember: ensure your knees track your second and third toes. They should not knock in or roll out – use a mirror to check your technique.
2. Good Mornings
- Stand tall with feet hip width apart
- Leading with your hips, bend forward from your whilst keeping minimal bend in your knees
- When you start feeling a gentle stretch in your hamstring, squeeze the glutes and return to standing, keeping your back straight
3. Squat Jumps with Step Backs
- Stand with feet hip or shoulder width apart
- Drop your hips back and down as if going to sit on a chair
- Continue lowering down – “squatting” – aiming for thighs parallel to the ground
- Squeeze your butt and core to lift off the ground, jump into the air then land through your knees straight into a squat
- Return to standing or repeat
4. Glute Bridge with Abductions
- Lay down on the floor, with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground about hip width apart.
- Place your arms by your side, palms down
- Squeeze the glutes to lift your hips off the ground until your knees, hips and shoulders form a straight line.
- Keeping your feet flat on the ground, open the knees wide, then squeeze them back to hip width apart
- Slowly lower your hops back down to the group.
Remember: Squeeze those glutes hard and keep your abs drawn in so you don’t overextend your back during the exercise.
5. Squat Jacks
- Start standing with your legs and feet together then push your hips back and down to lower into a squat position
- Staying in this lowered position, jump your feet wide and then jump jump them back to hip width apart
- Try to maintain this lowered position for the whole time, whilst jumping feet out and in repeatedly
At Home Lower Body Workouts
If you’re looking for lower body workouts for beginners, then you might wanna join a live class where you can get instruction and feedback on your form. This ensures you’re doing the exercises correctly, and will reduce your risk of injury.
Meet Badass – Live Online Lower Body Workouts
This is a 30minute lower body workout which features a host of different bodyweight lower body exercises, suitable for all levels. You can try out a free Badass workout here and get some info on glute activation exercises.
Lower Body COOL DOWN:
- 4 Yoga Poses For Tight Hips
- How To Improve Flexibility & Nail The Splits
- Get Closer To Splits With These 4 Stretches
- 6 Yoga Poses for Runners
I hope you’ve found some lower body exercise inspiration for your workouts here. Hopefully catch you in a live class, but if not, drop any questions or feedback you have in the comments below!
What’s your favourite lower body exercise or workout?!
P.S Safety always comes first. If you are new to exercise ensure you seek advice from your GP. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, wear appropriate clothing and carry out drills in a suitable space. Technique is paramount, and nothing should hurt. Should you experience pain, discomfort, nausea, dizziness, chest pain, shortness of breath etc, STOP and consult your GP.