As I type this, a pair of the new Nike Air Zoom SuperRep training shoes are on their way to me. This shoe has been built specifically for the rigors of high-intensity classes… and therefore, built for me and my day to day job as a Fitness Professional. The entire range (as there are more shoes to come) is built to serve the performance needs of class-based fitness athletes.
High-intensity interval training (HIIT) workouts
HIIT workouts alternate bouts of going all-out with periods of rest to recover. The movements are diverse – think burpees, kettlebell swings, lunges, mountain climbers, push-ups, squats and many more — and are sequenced to get maximum impact from maximum effort.
The design of the Nike Air Zoom SuperRep takes into account hundreds of hours spent sweating it out, studying and observing fitness classes. In those classes, it became apparent that athletes were either wearing shoes that were cushioned or shoes that were supportive, but there wasn’t a shoe that provided both cushioning and support specific to fundamental HIIT movements.
Using Zoom Air in the forefoot not only creates a dynamic aesthetic, it also helps provide impact protection and a responsiveness that gives back rep after rep after rep.
This cushioning — a two-unit system under the forefoot — doesn’t act alone. A plate running from heel to forefoot helps roll the foot forward and into a ready position for the majority of upright HIIT movements. The upper is crafted to support lateral moves, such as skaters and side lunges. The “burpee break” provides stability in plank positions and allows the foot to bend naturally when driving into mountain climbers.
The Nike SuperRep Range
The Nike Air Zoom SuperRep also introduces an unmistakable signature mark — an exaggerated arc design near the ball of the foot — that carries into the SuperRep family’s other two initial styles, the Nike SuperRep Cycle and Nike SuperRep Go.
Try This SuperRep Workout
Take the Nike Air Zoom SuperRep through its paces with the three dynamic movements below, performing 20 reps of each. (Love the feel? Check out more moves like these in the library of HIIT workouts available on the Nike Training Club app)
- Start from a neutral standing position… feet hip width apart, shoulders down and relaxed, arms by your side.
- Pump your knees toward your chest alternating short, quick steps either on the spot, or moving forward if you have space.
- Use arms for extra momentum. I always say that “the faster your arms move, your faster your legs will go!”
- Land on the ball of your feet.
The Nike Air Zoom SuperRep advantage: The Air Zoom in the forefoot cushions and absorbs impact while it provides responsive, snappy energy to tackle the next rep.
- Starting in a plank / push up position, drive one knee forwards towards your chest between your arms, using your core to keep your foot elevated off the ground.
- Whilst maintaining the plank position by keeping the weight above your shoulders and over your wrists, return the first leg to the start position while driving the other knee towards your chest.
- Switch feet back and forward as quickly as possible. Ensure you keep correct form, especially keeping your hips in line with your shoulders, not allowing them to go too high.
The Nike Air Zoom SuperRep advantage: The flexible design of the “burpee break” allows your foot to easily and comfortably get into — and drive out of — plank position.
- Stand with feet together, arms at sides with elbows bent.
- With your weight on your left foot, leap your right foot as far as possible to your right side, landing softly with right knee slightly bent and bringing left foot to meet it; repeat in opposite direction for 1 rep.
- Continue alternating, pumping arms to increase the intensity, for remaining reps.
The Nike Air Zoom SuperRep advantage: Durable side arcs (what Nike designers call the “Containment Shield”) help keep your foot securely locked in place as you bound from side to side.
Once the shoes arrive I will get busy putting them to the test myself. I’ll also get some imagery captured to share in this post and show off the details talked about by Nike. In the meantime, if you happen to come across this post and have any specific questions you would like me to answer about the Nile Air Zoom SuperRep training shoe, leave a comment below or get in contact with me directly….
You are gonna love these if… TBC
Think twice if… TBC